Retainers are the Key
Retainers are forever! Teeth are set in bone, NOT in stone!
Wear your Retainers consistently and forever and your teeth will stay straight!
Tips for wearing Removable Retainers:
- For the first week, wear your retainers 12 hours per day. Then every night to bed thereafter.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should be in its case!! Do not wrap retainers in a napkin when eating as it may get thrown away… You don’t want to have to garbage dig ?!
- Dogs & other pets love to chew on retainers and may even chew through your case to get at them. Be sure to keep retainers and cases in a high place or in a drawer away from your pets.
- Please be sure not to chew/flip/play with your retainers as this may cause excessive wear or breakage.
- DO NOT chew gum while wearing retainers; once gum is stuck on the retainer, it will not come off.
- If you feel a rough area on the edge or your retainer, use the fine side of a fingernail file/emery board to smooth that area.
Tips for cleaning Removable Retainers:
Brush your retainer every day immediately after removal with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Don’t let spit/plaque harden on your retainer – you won’t get it off….YUCK!
To sterilize and freshen: Soak your retainers in water with a denture cleaner tablet (Efferdent) for a full day 1x/week (you can do this as often as you like).
Do not put your retainer in the dishwasher or boiling water – it will melt and distort.